Free Software programmer
Subscribe to a syndicated
feed of my weblog, brought to you by the wonders of
This blog existed before my current employment, and obviously
reflects my own opinions and not theirs.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.1 Australia License.
Categories of this blog:
All 2008 posts
All 2007 posts
All 2006 posts
All 2005 posts
All 2004 posts
Wed, 30 Jan 2008
You need to have lguest working for the lguest tutorial. We had a preparation
BoF, and here's what we ended up with (thanks everyone!)
- Get a 2.6.23 kernel
- Make sure CONFIG_EXT2=y so you can read the root image.
- Build your kernel with CONFIG_LGUEST=m (here are pre-built kernel trees for
Debian unstable and Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy).)
- Install the kernel on your machine.
- cd into Documentation/lguest/ and type "make" to build the "lguest" launcher binary (you will need the zlib headers and static libraries).
- Grab a simple root image I use the Xen-test tiny image.
- Reboot into your 2.6.23 image.
- sudo modprobe lg
- Run the lguest launcher like so:
sudo /usr/src/linux-2.6.23/Documentation/lguest/lguest --block=initrd-1.1-i386.img 128 /boot/vmlinuz-18.104.22.168 root=/dev/lgba
- If you see the "sh" prompt, you're ready for the tutorial!
There's also a Qemu image
with instructions but you need to build outside and install updates into the image.
[/tech] permanent link