PCI probe code

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 21 02:39:32 EST 2002

>I've never seen this at least with IBM's firmware.  For example, if I
>put in a video capture card where there is clearly no driver the BARs
>still get assigned properly.
>
>However, it could be possible that this only occurs if a driver *does*
>exist.  Maybe the firmware goes down a non-driver path otherwise.

I think it happens because the ATI OF driver (and possibly some
Adaptec OF drivers too) override the "reg" property to explicitely
not request the IO memory to be assigned.

>Are you trying to use the bar reallocation code for hot plug?

No, all I do right now is for boot-time. I pushed my tweak to
bk linuxppc_2_4 today so you can look at the code if you want.

Ben.