how to allocate 9MB of memory in kernel ?

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Thu Jul 17 19:04:42 EST 2008

Misbah khan ha scritto:
>>> You can use the mem option to tell to the kernel that you've got less
>>> ram you really have.
> I really didnt got the point you made. Can you please elaborate it for my
> understanding.
If you've got 128MB of ram you can use the mem option to tell to the
kernel the it can use only (128 - 9) MB of ram, after that you can use
that chunk of ram, however I think it's not the case if your goal is to
use a sdram as you said in the previous message.

>>> However you can read Linux device drivers chapter 8
> i dont need to allocate large memory at the boot time also vmalloc and
> kmalloc i cant use as it can allocate free page up to 128kb, hence if you
> could suggest me a better technique i would really appriciate .

The problem about 128KB is only for kmalloc. If I understood correctly
you need only to remap the 9MB of your sdram.