Reading a config file in a driver ....

Carlos Munoz carlos at kenati.com
Fri Jan 4 05:43:44 EST 2008

Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:03:20PM -0800, Misbah khan wrote:
>
>> Hi all ....
>>
>> I am writing a LCD driver in which the default configuration for LCD would
>> be loded at the Init . This default configuration if keep in the driver then
>> for a change in default configuration we need to compile the driver which we
>> never want . Hence we want a .config file in /etc/lcd.config dir which could
>> be changed and the next boot will take this configuration as the default
>> configuration.
>>
>> I need to know How to read from the config file in the driver form the dir
>> /etc/lcd.config. The driver would be installed at boot up
>>

> The driver/kernel shouldn't read the file directly, if anything you
> should have a userspace tool that reads it and adjusts the driver via
> sysfs or similar. That tool can be run from some of the init scripts,
> or from the ramdisk in case you want to do it early.

What I've done in the past is to use module_param() to define variables
that get set when the module is loaded. Then all you need to do is edit
the /etc/modules file and change the parameter value. However, this
technique is only efficient if only a few parameters will ever change.
If you need to change more than a few parameters, Olof's suggestion
would be preferred.

Carlos