Enabling MSR debugging mode on MPC8541cds

Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh) bgholikh at cisco.com
Sat Feb 2 09:17:48 EST 2008

Hi All,
I am working on powerpc git tree version
Linux-2.6.22-rc4-geff2ebd2-dirty.
Our custom board is based on mpc8541cds. I am trying to use Jtag to
debug
the kernel issues. I have done the following changes to the source tree:

On the top directory Makefile:

CC                = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -g2 -gdwarf-2
AFLAG_KERNEL = -Wa,gdwarf2

include/asm-powerpc/reg_booke.h:
/* Default MSR for kernel mode. */
#if defined (CONFIG_40x)
#define MSR_KERNEL (MSR_ME|MSR_RI|MSR_IR|MSR_DR|MSR_CE|MSR_DE)
#elif defined(CONFIG_BOOKE)
#define MSR_KERNEL (MSR_ME|MSR_RI|MSR_CE|MSR_DE)

However, I can see through Jtag that the MSR_DE (the debug bit) is not
set on the,
so I am not able to set break points.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,