mpc8xx, i2c read DB busy issue

Ankur Maheshwari ankur_maheshwari at procsys.com
Fri Oct 26 19:30:31 EST 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to use mpc860 as i2c-SLAVE. Kernel, I am using is
Linux-2.4.4, which I can't change due to some reasons.

I am able to do I2C read/write operations on mpc8xx-i2c slave only after
re-insmoding my driver module (i2c-algo-8xx.c, and adapter layer drive,
code I took form i2c-rpx/r360.c ).

The issue I am facing is when I insmod i2c-driver on fresh Linux boot,
any i2c-mpc860 as slave read/write operation gives me busy status (which
is for Rx BD not available) in Controller's i2c Event Registers. When I
get busy status I have to do force_close() and re-init of bd, then only
busy status goes off.

I tried calling cpm_iic_init(); twice while __init but with no change in
busy status.

After some initial try, i2c slave write works but i2c read gives no data
to the master. After re-insmoding driver, read/write works with some
times (1 out of 15 times) i2c-read failing.

But still I can't understand why busy is coming....

Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.

thanks,
Ankur Maheshwari