Arch: powerpc or ppc?

Trevor Barton tmb at isotek.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 21:16:44 EST 2007

I've just started bringing Linux up on a Xilinx Virtex 4 FPGA with a
PPC405 core.  I'm using 2.6.15, and a crosstools-built toolchain from an
x86 running Linux.  The choice of kernel version was because crosstools
identified it as a working combination and I can see no reason to choose
anything different at the moment.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between the ppc and powerpc
architecture trees in the kernel.  I've been using the ppc tree because
that seems to have the requisite sources in it (I'm basing it on the
ML300 code which seems to be the thing to do), and also because that was
the only powerpc-related  tree in earlier kernels.  I can't seem to find
any documentation as to where the powerpc tree appeared from and why.

Can anyone confirm that I should still be using the ppc tree?  Or even
better, point me to some documentation regarding them both?

Actually, while I'm at it, pointers to anything useful regarding the 2.6
kernel and the Virtex 4 would be helpful.  I've found a reasonable
amount of stuff myself, but as these things usually go I'll only find
the best documentation after I've solved the problems myself and
therefore know what I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance,
Trevor Barton

--
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (113) 275 1339  Fax: +44 (113) 224 9827 Web: www.isotek.co.uk