booting zImage.elf

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Tue Jun 19 19:37:28 EST 2007

    An elf file is not just a collection of bits exactly as they would
be found in memory.
    The code in it may get loaded into several distinct regions, it may
include information to allocate additional regions,
    the code may be relocatable or have relocation information.

    It is unlikely (maybe impossible) that you can create an elf file
that you can just jump into.

    There are other file formats that you can build the kernel as that
would more closely correspond to what you are after.
    Because I normally build zImage.elf files and my loader handles
them  well I am not experienced with creating other formats,
    but I think the u-boot documentation should give you some pointers.
    You do not convert the zImage.elf, you build the kernel with the
image format that you want.

    zImage.elf is actually a very simple elf file, that performs some
rudimentary initialization, and then decompresses what is really the
kernel image into memory
    and executes it. The compressed image inside the zImage.elf is
closer to what you are looking for.