Porting kernel 2.6.11 to WindRiver board.

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Wed Jul 11 21:02:33 EST 2007

linuxdev schrieb:
> I have to port a linux kernel to Motorola MPC 7447 based WindRiver SBC 7447
> board.

The MPC7447 is one of the G4+ PowerPC processor series.
You shouldn't run into much issues to get Linux running on it.

A good start can be to use the latest ELDK from http://www.denx.de.

I created a native PowerPC environment for embedded use based on the
latest CRUX linux distribution (http://cruxppc.sunsite.dk).
CRUX is also available for x86 (http://crux.nu) which is nice
to work completely platform independent.

> I plan to use Kernel 2.6.11 and Uboot for the same.

It doesn't make sense to use an older than the latest Kernel because
nobody wants to help you in case you run into problems.
Use the latest linux git tree. (or at least some 2.6.22)
And use the latest U-Boot git tree. (also from denx)

 > I wanted to know whether
> these two can be used for the board. Also how do I get hold of a BSP for
> this board and kernel? Are there any information resources for the same?

It's all available in the web. It depends on your hardware setup
how complicated your "porting" might be. I hope you good good documentation
for it.
If you have a Harddisk to boot from or some network interface, "porting"
it might be as simple as installing some x86 platform.

> Thanks in advance...
> LinuxDev.
Please use your real name.

Regards,