8360E - PCI / DTC Blob Setup

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Feb 2 17:20:32 EST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Russell McGuire wrote:

> Kumar,
>
> THANK you, for pointing me in the right direction. I might have
> scratched my
> head another 10 years finding this bug. And an apology for thinking
> I had a
> software issue, when it was a hardware issue.

No problem, this pretty much comes out of the PCI OF spec, but it
takes a while to grok how we actually use it.

> This is helping me greatly, all the while I had this sinking
> feeling, like I
> didn't route any 'incoming' interrupt lines to the CPU. Something
> about the
> 8360 being able to get configured as an agent device, so I over
> looked the
> use of the INTA pin on the CPU as incoming vs outgoing.
>
> SO it would seem I didn't have ANY incoming pins, and thus the
> IRQ4-7 pins
> that occur in the 8360E-MDS board were floating on my board. So as
> soon as
> the sound driver enabled the interrupt, it was low all the time.

That would definitely be a HW issue :)

>> <HOST IRQ specifier> (on 83xx):>
>>
>> [linux,phandle for interrupt controller] [IRQ #] [sense]
>
> I assume all these numbers are in HEX, So 0x14, 0x 15, 0x 16, 0x 17
> would
> correspond to external IRQ4-7 in the MPC8360E. I will wire this up
> and give
> it a shot, guess it works better when they are connected.

Yeah all numbers are hex, I forget if you can put a leading 0x or
not.. its kinda annoying.

>> <PCI DEV specifier>:
>>
>> [(bus << 16) | (idsel << 11)] 0 0
>
> Well I think this is definitely part of my problem.
> So I am mapping interrupts from bus 1 and 2, I would need something
> like?

Truthfully you should probably have child nodes that describe the
bridges and have their interrupt mappings described there.

The code is going to end up using the Bus #, IDSEL for the pci device
to try and determine the CPU ext interrupt its mapped to.

Unfortunately, we don't really have an example of this.

> Alternating the 14,15,16,17 to make a 'load-balanced' mapping? Are
> the bus

not following the question.