TQM5200 problems (kernel 2.4)

Kimmo Surakka kusti at iki.fi
Thu Aug 2 19:17:30 EST 2007

Hi all,

I've continued my tests with the TQM5200. It appears that the
"Warning: kfree_skb on hard IRQ c008ecfc" errors are happening
because ppp_async_encode calls kfree_skb. I think this in itself is
not a problem, but when I googled for "ppp_async_encode hard IRQ", I found this:

http://search.luky.org/linux-kernel.2001/msg37792.html and
http://search.luky.org/linux-kernel.2001/msg41315.html

It seems that the serial driver should be split into top-half and bottom-half
interrupt handlers. If I read the code right, this is not done either in
the 2.4 kernel (arch/ppc/5xxx_io/psc.c) or in the 2.6 tree
(drivers/serial/mpc52xx_uart.c).

It this really correct, i.e. is the problem in the serial driver or should
I just replace the kfree_skb call in ppp_async_encode with
dev_kfree_skb_any()?

--
Kimmo Surakka <kusti at iki.fi>
http://www.iki.fi/kusti