how to reserve memory in linux?

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 00:27:59 EST 2006

Dear all,
My situation is, I want to reserve some amount of memory and make it shared
by both Linux kernel and another hardware peripheral. That is, when I boot
linux and execute some user space programs, this part of memory should be
reserved for other use and cannot be used by both the kernel and those
applications. But it could be accessed by Linux with some certain kind of
application and also be accessed by another hardware peripheral with DMA or
something like that.

I am not sure if I am right but I think it's just like the situation of
multiprocessing (if we can treat that hardware peripheral as another
processor, or just use another processor to realize its functions.) and
that part of memory is just like the hardware shared memory by
multiprocessor. Am I right?

Then my question is, how to reserve such part of memory in Linux? Does
Linux has such a function?

I am not falimiar with such a topic, so any hint related to this is
appreciated.

Thanks for your ideals and suggestions.

Regards
Ming