About MMU setting in MPC8245

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Thu Jan 12 03:07:09 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 06:26:18PM +0800, happa at wmlab.csie.ncu.edu.tw wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry, I have very basic question about PPC MMU setting.
>
> In "http://www.denx.de/wiki/PPCEmbedded/Kernel#BOOTLOADER",
> chapter 10.2. Memory Map, I get the following information.
>
> "The bootloader is responsible for configuring the memory map before jumping to the Linux kernel."
>
> Is anyone know what memory map should be done in bootloader?

Are you in PCI host mode?  If so, the first sentence of chapter 3--
Address Maps of the 8245 manual states:

	"The MPC8245 in PCI host mode supports an address mapping
	configuration that is designated as address map B."

Map B == CHRP mapping.

> If I'm using ICE to load linux kernel, what kind of CPU registers need be configured first?
> Is IBAT/DBAT and Segment register need be set?

Why don't you just use U-boot or look at the U-Boot code to see how its
done?

Mark