MPC5200 + LocalPlus Bus + memcpy

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Apr 7 17:37:01 EST 2006

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 06:21:44PM +0400, Andrey Volkov wrote:
> Hello, Sascha.
>
> On Wednesday, April 5, 2006, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I try to use jffs2 on a flash device connected to the mpc5200
> > LocalPlus Bus. This bus does not allow misaligned accesses.
> > The jffs2 code uses memcpy to copy from a word aligned address to an
> > odd address. The ppc memcpy implementation first copies three bytes to get
> > the target address word aligned, but then the source address is on an
> > odd address. The following word accesses on this unaligned address fail
> > badly.
> Invalid crc on 'name' field ;)?

Yes, exactly ;)

> > I have fixed my problem by modifying the physmap mtd driver, but some
> > day someone wants to connect SRAM to the LocalPlus Bus and I guess he
> > will expect memcpy to work.
> Heh, I'll have same problem. Patch (dirty hack)
> attached (vs head of vanilla 2.6. tree)
>
> > (BTW the arm implementation of memcpy seems to work around this problem)
> Wrong, memcpy to/from SDRAM _may_ be unaligned, only
> memcpy_fromio/memcpy_toio _must_ be aligned to even addresses.

Hm, then a proper fix would be:
- implement an optimized version of memcpy_fromio/memcpy_toio, this
  could be a version of memcpy which only alignes on the io side
- use memcpy_fromio/memcpy_toio in jffs2 code

Do I see this right?

Is SRAM considered io? I know (Arm-)Boards which do not have SDRAM, they
run completely from SRAM.

> P.S.
> Paul, Sylvain, any suggestions to fix it?
> AFAIK, memcpy_to/from_io must be it string.s, isn't it?
>
> P.P.S Sacha if you start to write mscan driver, then please wait a
> week, I planned to send my work to can-socket at next Friday.

No I haven't started yet, and I will happily wait another week ;)

Sascha