Memory Usage Growth in File access

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 2 20:28:15 EST 2005

In message <02cb01c54ee3$87e93ec0$4000a8c0 at DeepakS> you wrote:

> I am  facing an issue in file operation, when we read/write continuously
> to  a large file in our  ppc 405 based device , memory usage shown in
> /proc/meminfo   increases by the number of bytes accessed.And after
> closing the application also the memory used is not released and  it
> goes to cached memory .

Welcome to the world of efficient use of resources.

What you see is perfectly normal behaviour and  one  of  the  reasons
that LInux provides excellent performance.

> Can anyone suggest me some idea how to trace out the problem.

There is no problem. What you see is normal the way it  was  designed
to work.

> When i run the below given code first time the memory grows,when  i run
> succesively it doesn't grow again , may be using the already taken
> memory.

Indeed. Also if you have a way to  trace  accesses  to  your  storage
media  you  will see that the secondrun needs much less accesses, and
is faster, too.

Welcome to Unix.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Today is the yesterday you worried about tomorrow.