Fw: Montavista Patch for ml403

Peter Ryser peter.ryser at xilinx.com
Fri Jul 8 03:33:13 EST 2005

The linux/patch_linux script has some information on how to apply the
patch. For the next release of the reference design we will include more
information and also have updated the patch. The new release will be
available within the next few days. Check
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml403/reference_designs.htm for
availability of the updates.

Further down find the updated instructions. I'll send you the updated
patch in a private email.

- Peter

  Building the Linux BSP (PPC405 Systems Only)

The EDK design comes with MLD/TCL technology to generate a Linux BSP for
ML40x and a script to patch a MontaVista Linux kernel from the ML300 LSP
for use with this BSP.

To build a BSP for and to patch the Linux kernel, proceed as follows:

1. Start XPS and load the Linux XMP:
$ xps system_linux.xmp

2. Generate the Linux BSP with Tools->Generate Libraries and BSPs

The resulting Linux BSP is located in
ppc405_0/libsrc/linux_mvl31_v1_00_a/linux.

3. Quit XPS

4. Create a copy of the MontaVista Linux kernel for the ML300 board.

The Linux kernel and the tools to build the Linux kernel are available
from MontaVista (http://www.mvista.com). For further information about
using Linux with EDK, refer to XAPP765: Getting Started with EDK and
MontaVista Linux (http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp765.pdf).

5. Patch the Linux kernel for use with the ML40x board
$ cd linux
$ ./patch_linux <path to the copy of the MontaVista Linux kernel>

This step copies the .config file from the linux directory to the Linux
kernel, patches the Linux kernel with necessary changes for the ML40x
board, and copies the Linux BSP into the Linux kernel.

Build the Linux kernel.
$ cd <path to the copy of the MontaVista Linux kernel>
$ make oldconfig dep bzImage

The resulting Linux kernel resides in arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.elf

6. To build an ACE file consisting of the FPGA bitstream and the Linux
kernel, click Tools->Xygwin shell to run a shell, then type:
$ xmd –tcl genace.tcl –jprog –hw implementation/download.bit –elf <Linux
elf file> -ace implementation/system.ace