MPC5200 toolchain test

ivica at asist-traffic.com ivica at asist-traffic.com
Fri Nov 26 21:48:01 EST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>Dear Ivica,
>
>in message <41A5F930.3080104 at asist-traffic.com> you wrote:
>

>>I have a MPC5200 based custom board with preloaded u-boot.
>>

>May I ask why you want to start from scratch? Is it  for  educational
>purposes?  Otherwise  you  could  just  use  existing and well-tested
>toolchains  like  our  ELDK   which   isavailable   for   free   (see
>http://www.denx.de/ELDK.html);  of course you can also use the ELDK's
>build environment to rebuild everything from scratch  if  you  really
>want  to  be  sure  that you can recompile everything without need to
>rely on any external resources.

Educational reasons were my primary motives besides the independence
factor. :-)
I used ELDK extensively on my other projects and I was very pleased with
the kit.
I used this kit on TQM boards on my former job. Board that I use now is
totally
custom made and I expect to have difficulties with it anyway. My motto
was "If I
can't build/create the tools I'm going to work with I really shouldn't
mess around
in the first place".
That said, I will always keep a backup solution ready (read ELDK) and
try to thoroughly
understand everything I do. I wanted to build my system from the ground
up but
I don't have the tools to do it (BDI2000, ...). My board was preloaded
with u-boot.
Since this board is not yet truly industrial ready I will need to
somehow stress it and test it.
I will have a certain budget to spend.What tools should I use? BDI2000?
Any alternatives,
or is this simply superior tool for debugging purposes?

>>So far I managed to create GNU toolchain for it with crostool from
>>Dan Kegel. Everything was built without any problems. Of course,
>>I wanted to test this toolchain so I wanted to compile a simple
>>hello_world program load it into the memory of my MPC5200 board
>>and run it. So far I've failed. I admit. I don't know how to compile
>>a program to run without the OS. But I have some clues. I think it
>>

>There is some pretty extensive documentation in our DULG about how to
>use U-Boot and Linux in Embedded systems; have a look at
>http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Manual

Yes I know of it. It doesn't describe though the process of compiling
and linking standalone
applications to run without OS.

Regards,
Ivica