ppcboot 2.0.0 + ppclinux2.4.devel, network weirdo

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 9 19:37:12 EST 2003

In message <000d01c2fe74$83264520$1464a8c0 at sjeng3> you wrote:

> Here's my 2nd question: is it a good idea that I modify ppcboot to
> include these network initialization functions just before booting my
> kernel image? Maybe this is not necessary but I really could not figure
> out why the "tftp" before loading kernel image made the difference
> on the network.

This is a somewhat philosophical question, and opinions differ.  IMHO
a  Linux  driver  usually should perform all required initializations
himself instead on relying on certain  things  to  be  done  by  some
firmware.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was  that,
lacking  zero,  they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs."                                     - Robert Firth