flash filesystem

Scott Anderson sanders at mvista.com
Wed Jul 26 07:36:52 EST 2000

Mike Coy wrote:
> The best that I can come up with is that the flash is probably mapped into
> memory somewhere, and maybe I could fool the ramdisk code into reading a
> pre-existant ramdisk at a given address.  This didn't appear to be too
> trivial at my first browse through the code, though.
> What is the right way to get at data in flash?

I used the MTD code to accomplish the same thing.  I have a compressed
ext2 filesystem image sitting in FLASH and pass the MTD slram driver
the beginning and ending address and it exposes the FLASH as /dev/mtd0.
To make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about a read-only
filesystem.

Check out http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/ to get started with the
MTD layer.  I'm under the impression that MTD has gone into the 2.4
kernel so it should become "the" way of doing this.

    Scott Anderson
    scott_anderson at mvista.com   MontaVista Software Inc.
    (408)328-9214               490 Potrero Ave.
    http://www.mvista.com       Sunnyvale, CA  94086