[RFC] sched/eevdf: sched feature to dismiss lag on wakeup

Luis Machado luis.machado at arm.com
Wed Mar 20 19:12:18 AEDT 2024

On 3/20/24 07:04, Tobias Huschle wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 02:41:14PM +0100, Vincent Guittot wrote:

>>> Haven't seen that one yet. Unfortunately, it does not help to ignore the
>>> eligibility.
>>>
>>> I'm inclined to rather propose propose a documentation change, which
>>> describes that tasks should not rely on woken up tasks being scheduled
>>> immediately.
>>
>> Where do you see such an assumption ? Even before eevdf, there were
>> nothing that ensures such behavior. When using CFS (legacy or eevdf)
>> tasks, you can't know if the newly wakeup task will run 1st or not
>>

> There was no guarantee of course. place_entity was reducing the vruntime of
> woken up tasks though, giving it a slight boost, right?. For the scenario
> that I observed, that boost was enough to make sure, that the woken up tasks
> gets scheduled consistently. This might still not be true for all scenarios,
> but in general EEVDF seems to be stricter with woken up tasks.

It seems that way, as EEVDF will do eligibility and deadline checks before scheduling a task, so
a task would have to satisfy both of those checks.

I think we have some special treatment for when a task initially joins the competition, in which
case we halve its slice. But I don't think there is any special treatment for woken tasks
anymore.

There was also a fix (63304558ba5dcaaff9e052ee43cfdcc7f9c29e85) to try to reduce the number of
wake up preemptions under some conditions, under the RUN_TO_PARITY feature.