Boot failure with ppc64 port on iMacs G5

tuxayo victor at tuxayo.net
Wed Feb 28 16:23:37 AEDT 2024

On 24-02-20 10:16, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> There seems to be a regression in the kernel which affects PowerPC 970 machines,
> i.e. PowerMac G5 CPUs. The issue needs to be bisected and reported upstream.
>
> If you have the time, I would really appreciate if you could test the various
> snapshots and let me know which kernel is the first to not work. I expect that
> the breakage occurred somewhere around kernel 6.3 or so.

No problem, I'm going there every week and can do as much testing as
necessary even if it takes months. We got a donation of a standard PC so
we have now one publicly usable PC at the library.
So I can take my time to try to make something out of the iMacs.

Results:
- 2023-06-18: ok
   - running strings on iso's vmlinuz yields 6.3.7-1 (2023-06-12)
- 2023-11-16: fail
   - 6.5.10-1 (2023-11-03)

As expected, the regression happened during the big gap between
snapshots >_<

Anything more I can test?
(cross compiling old kernels is unfortunately too much over my head)

It's weird that it seems the regression is about booting the iso.
Otherwise, net installs from old iso like what Claudia did wouldn't work
after rebooting after install.

Cheers,

--
tuxayo