8544 external interrupt configuration problems

Nancy Isaac nancy.isaac at pobox.com
Fri May 29 05:05:52 EST 2009

Hi,

I have a custom board that's using powerpc 8544. I am trying to setup the
external interrupts using the device tree and I am having no luck getting
the interrupt.  I think my problem is that I don't have the hwirq to virq
mapping correctly. We are using the freescale 8544ds as our base.  We have a
PCI bus but we are not using PCIE.  In my kernel configuration, I have
CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS disabled.  The PCI interrupt is connected to IRQ0 and it
is working fine.  But, my FPGA has three interrupts, IRQ1, IRQ2 and IRQ3.  I
configure this in the device tree and I've tried many different numbers for
the interrupt.

In the KConfig for ppc85xx, the configuration is the following

config MPC85xx_DS
    bool "Freescale MPC8544 DS"
    #select PPC_I8259
    select DEFAULT_UIMAGE
    select FSL_PCIE

config MPC85xx
    bool
    select PPC_UDBG_16550
    select PPC_INDIRECT_PCI
    select FSL_PCIE
    select SERIAL_8250_SHARE_IRQ if SERIAL_8250
    default y if MPC8540_ADS || MPC85xx_CDS || MPC8560_ADS \
        || MPC85xx_MDS || MPC85xx_DS

My .config has the following configuration for PCI ( I am showing the PCI
configuration b/c 8544 seems to have different interrupt setup when PCIE is
configured)

CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
# CONFIG_MPIC_WEIRD is not set
# CONFIG_PPC_I8259 is not set
CONFIG_PPC_INDIRECT_PCI=y
CONFIG_FSL_SOC=y
CONFIG_FSL_PCIE=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_DOMAINS=y
# CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS is not set
CONFIG_PCI_DEBUG=y

My device tree has the following entry for my fpga:

CpuCpld\@f0000000{
                        compatible = "MPC8544DS";
                        device_type = "CpuCpld";
                        reg = <f0000000 00000040>;
                        interrupts = <41 2 42 2 43 2>;
                        interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;
};

My driver does the mapping to the virq:

 np = of_find_node_by_type(NULL, "CpuCpld");
    if (!np) {
        ret = -ENODEV;
    }
    cpldCpuDrv->MateIntIrq = irq_of_parse_and_map(np, 0);
    cpldCpuDrv->FtaIrq =  irq_of_parse_and_map(np, 1);
    cpldCpuDrv->ExtractIrq =  irq_of_parse_and_map(np, 2);
    cpldCpuDrv->XauiIrq =  irq_of_parse_and_map(np, 0);

    of_node_put(np);

Does anyone know what the virq should be for these external interrupts?
I've tried specifying the actual irq numbers 1,2 and 3 and that doesn't work
either.
Is there some PCI configuration that's getting in the way?  I've tried
disabling the FSL_PCIE and I get the same behavior.

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks
Nancy