MSR_SPE - being turned off...

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Thu May 7 06:15:06 EST 2009

Sorry, let me try again...

>> -----Original Message-----
After sitting with the developer of the application for a while,

a) Alignment (aka: alignment exceptions) - Looking at how it
    handles the instruction - it interprets these SPE as common
	   instructions & then resets the 'upper' 32bits.

 	   I was just made aware that on 9/14/2007 - Kumar submitted a
         patch that handles these instructions correctly (we don't
         have that version - I am in the process of trying to port it
	   to my current version of the kernel (to see if part of
problem).

 	   In general, this is a VERY disturbing thing. We 'turn on
         SPE' in the compiler (-mspe=yes)(a). We are NOT explicitly
         using SPE instructions in our application(b), BUT(c), the
4.2.171
         compiler (having origins from Code Sourcery (via Freescale))
upon
         optimizations put SPE instructions in without any regard for
          alignment (which instead of making the code faster - might
actually
          make the code slower)? It's a little disturbing to me.

    Stay tuned for more details about my port - and seeing if some
    of my problems go away..

b) We still contend if you have multiple tasks using a (VERY) high
Density of SPE instructions - and the system is taxed heavily
    (with lots of context switches) - there is the possibility that
    a task will get unlucky and the registers setup will NOT there
    after the context switches back (if some other task does something
    else with the entire 64bits).

Tom

Is