Xilinx cygwin linux cross recommendations ?

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Tue Mar 24 04:17:15 EST 2009

I agree that VmWare is a reasonable solution.

Some of our field guys, that don't do Linux everyday, use the ELDK in a
VmWare appliance and this seems reasonable.  We never had great luck
with cygwin stuff in this area.

-- John

Jr.
> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:59 PM
> To: linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org
> Subject: Xilinx cygwin linux cross recommendations ?
>

>     Does anyone have experience sugestions for building ppc/linux apps
> or even ppc kernels under windows.
>
>     I work (and live) under Linux. I am very happy to work under
Linux.
> I only spend about 20 minutes a week in windows anymore.
>
>     But I have coworkers, and clients that live under windows.
>     Mostly I have them working under coLinux, but even that seems to
be
> too much for many of them.
>
>     I have been able to mangle my build environment to  work under
msys
> and use the xilinx edk cross compiler to build standalone PPC apps,
>     But the libraries do not seem to be present for linux
applications.

>     I build my own uclibc crosscompiler under linux from buildroot.
>        Has anyone got experience doing that under windows ?
>
>     Can I just copy the appropriate library binaries and use them with
> the xilinx EDK cross compiler ? Presumably I need to match versions of
GCC.

>     Other suguestions ?
>
>     Thanks.
>

> --
> Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
> Software Development:
Embedded Linux
> 717.627.3770 	       dhlii at dlasys.net 	  http://www.dlasys.net
> fax: 1.253.369.9244 			           Cell: 1.717.587.7774
> Over 25 years' experience in platforms, languages, and technologies
too numerous to list.

> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It
takes a touch of genius - and a