question about of_platform vs 'platform'

Mike Hench mhench at engagenet.com
Thu Mar 20 08:49:18 EST 2008

Sorry if this is a stupid question
I am new to PPC.
I am trying to make the SPI work on a MPC8313erdb board.
It isn't loading.
To that end, I added a printk to drivers/base/dd.c __driver_match
function

dmesg |grep -i spi

bus: 'of_platform': driver_probe_device: matching device e0007000.spi
with drive
r fsl-elbc
bus: 'platform': driver_probe_device: matching device fsl-usb2-udc.0
with driver
 mpc83xx_spi
bus: 'platform': driver_probe_device: matching device mpc83xx_wdt.0 with
driver
mpc83xx_spi
bus: 'platform': driver_probe_device: matching device fsl-i2c.0 with
driver mpc8
3xx_spi
bus: 'platform': driver_probe_device: matching device fsl-i2c.1 with
driver mpc8
3xx_spi
bus: 'platform': driver_probe_device: matching device Fixed MDIO bus.0
with driv
er mpc83xx_spi

it seems there is some sort of mismatch
how did the kernel decide that SPI was an 'of_platform' device.
The driver just uses 'platform' sorts of calls.
As opposed to the mpc52xx driver which uses of_platform.
The DTS file spi entry look similar to the i2c entries.
Those are treated as 'platform' devices.

A nudge/shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike