ARCH=ppc -> ARCH=powerpc : help needed for dts file

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Mar 5 15:52:08 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:10:59AM +0100, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 07:22:19PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

These comments aren't relevant to the problems you're seeing, but
they're a good idea for writing device trees in general.

First, you may want to consider moving to the version 1 dts format
which uses C-style integer values throughout, instead of hex by
default.

[snip]
> 		i2c at 3000 {
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			#size-cells = <0>;
> 			device_type = "i2c";

device_type shouldn't be included here.

> 			compatible = "fsl-i2c";
> 			reg = <3000 100>;
> 			interrupts = <2b 2>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <&mpic>;
> 			dfsrr;
>
> 			rtc at 68 {
> 				compatible = "stm,m41t81";
> 				reg = <68>;
> 			};
> 		};
>
> 		mdio at 24520 {
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			#size-cells = <0>;
> 			device_type = "mdio";
> 			compatible = "gianfar";
[snip]
> 		ethernet at 24000 {
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			#size-cells = <0>;
> 			device_type = "network";
> 			model = "TSEC";
> 			compatible = "gianfar";

The binding for gianfar mdio and ethernet devices has been updated to
better fit conventions for use of device_type and compatible
properties.  Check booting-without-of.txt for the details.

Can someone from freescale please go though and update the existing
device trees, so that people stop copying the old crap.

[snip]
> 		ethernet at 24000 {
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			#size-cells = <0>;
> 			device_type = "network";
> 			model = "TSEC";
> 			compatible = "gianfar";
> 			reg = <24000 1000>;
> 			/*
> 			 * address is deprecated and will be removed
> 			 * in 2.6.25.  Only recent versions of
> 			 * U-Boot support local-mac-address, however.
> 			 */
> 			address = [ 00 00 00 00 00 00 ];

And since this is a new port, you ought to be able to use a recent
u-boot and drop this backwards compatibility property.

--
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson