Refactor booting-without-of.txt

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Tue Oct 16 03:40:59 EST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:14:44AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On 10/15/07, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
> >
> > The flat device tree is, in spite of what some people would like it to be,
> > not open firmware, nor is it the same as their bindings. So I think we'd
> > be doing ourselves a disservice by continuing to associate them together.
> > All it would take is a rename of the directory, unfortunately i don't
> > have any suggestions on better names though.
>
> I think I need to stick with the of prefix.  All the support API in
> include/linux/of_* is prefixed with "of_" already, so convention is
> established.
>
> How about Documentation/of-device-tree?

Sounds good to me, even though it doesn't really address the original
OF separation comment. :)

Maybe it's enough to document the difference between the linux-specific
flat device tree bindings and classic 1275-style bindings in the top
readme in that directory. Either way, it's not worth arguing over,
your suggestion is good enough.

> > Looks reasonable. The other way to cut it would be to slice along vendor
> > boundaries, but I think I like the functional partitioning you suggested
> > better.
>
> I think vendor partitioning makes sense for non-common devices that
> don't easily fit into a particular mold (soc glue nodes come to mind).
>  Other than that, the functional partitioning
> lets us start with defining common property usage for a given device
> type and follow up with device specific properties.

Yep, it could always be added down the road in case it's needed.

-Olof