Hardware debuggers for PPC74xx G4 CPUs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 18 11:47:29 EST 2007

In message <9e4733910711141834n2bfb1742v5637c56e27e26f5a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > * The documentation is only available under NDA, a problem for open
> > source debuggers.
>
> This is what we need. I would like it specifically for the mpc5200.
> But we want to use it in OpenOCD so NDA won't work.

It doesn't work. Been  there  a  logn  time  ago.  It's  and  endless
fingerpointing.  Freescale  (by  then:  Motorola)  says  they  cannot
release any information because of their contracts with IBM, and vice
versa.

> Dominic is way experienced implementing JTAG for ARM CPUs. He has done
> several dozen interfaces. ARM doesn't have any problems releasing
> their debugging info.

JTAG is simple, but you don't get the necessery information for the
COP (= debug) interface.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Genius doesn't work on an assembly line basis.  You can't simply say,
"Today I will be brilliant."