zImage.prep on 2.6.18 & 2.6.19-rc1-gi5

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Tue Oct 10 18:12:30 EST 2006

Hey all,

Just headed over here from debian-powerpc following a hint by Benjamin.
Hope it's alright to just send the same email again asking Paul
Mackerras for using me as a test subject. :)

I've been trying to get an old Motorola Powerstack II working on Linux
for the past few days. Everything is working fine except for the fact
that I have to use a kernel 2.6.8 or earlier. As I'd like to run newer
udevs this is unfortunately an inacceptible state, no uevents and all.

Now then, to the actual problem which occurs while building the kernel
like so:

     $ make zImage

I was used to do that when building kernels and then dd
arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.prep to my PreP partition. Now with 2.6.18
and 2.6.19-rc-git5 the following error pops up somewhere near the end of
my build:

   GEN     .version
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux2
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux3
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms3.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms3.o
   LD      vmlinux
   SYSMAP  System.map
   SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map
   MODPOST vmlinux
ln: accessing `arch/powerpc/boot/zImage': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/zImage] Error 1
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

I have tried to find out how that zImage.prep I was using before is
supposed to be built but somehow failed badly. Any pointers on what I
might be doing wrong or have a look at?

Thanks,

Alex

PS: config in attachement is also applying to 2.6.18