Reg. Serial and Virtual consoles

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Aug 12 03:18:39 EST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:51:46AM -0500, Milton Miller wrote:
> It sounds to me that you want all input and output on the serial line to be echoed to  the vga screen both user and kernel.  Do you also require keyboard input?

I missed the start of the conversation, so the following suggestion may
be irrelevent. However, if the goal is to get kernel messages displayed
in lots of different places, this is easily done by running syslogd, and
adding the following to /etc/syslog.conf:

kern.*;*.err      *

If you don' want them slatered everywhere, but only on
the console, then:

kern.*;*.err      |/dev/console

--linas