exception vectors

Ingmar i2a at gmx.net
Mon Oct 31 20:58:53 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:28:49 -0600, Hollis Blanchard wrote
> On Oct 30, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Ingmar wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to overwrite the exception vector space of an ibook G4 :).
>
> Why?

For my thesis project I am porting the Minix (v3) OS.

> > I have set up (for every exception) a small piece of code, that's a
> > prefix of a
> > handler to be called. My problem is, that writing the small chunks
> > of code to
> > the exception vector space gives no problem(so it seams) but writing
> > all the
> > pieces of code as one chunk gives a exception [dsi, dsisr 0x42000000],
> > this
> > indicates a store problem.
>
> Code please. You're just calling memcpy?

I have done different methods (lots of code),
 - as a test just setting the memory, with memset,
 - custom copying word by word, flushing the cache while going,
 - flushing the cache afterwards,

the results are not always what I excected, the memset works if I don't set to
much like from 0x0 – 0x200. The copying would be the complete block.

> > I have tried different modes of copying, mmu on/off, also chanced the
> > WING bits,
> > switched the exception prefix on.
>
> You could not have gotten a DSI if you disabled the MMU...

Oke, than this is one I am sure of now, thanks :)

> > I don't believe putting the exception vectors to there place one by
> > one is the
> > right way, in the Linux kernel the kernel get relocated and the code
> > comes into
> > place. I have taken this as an example, unfortunately to to result :(..
>
> So you are not trying to overwrite Linux's functioning exception
> handlers, but rather trying to write your own OS?

Yes :).

> >  - Am I overlooking something?
> >  - Is the a standard way to overwrite the exception vector space of
> > a powerpc?
>
> Do you think this is a common task? :)

No the task maybe not, but the method could be,
 - I am sure (now) that the mmu must be off,
 - copying must be done with flushing the caches,

> -Hollis

Thanks
  Ingmar.