[Dri-devel] Re: PPC Lockup (ati-pcigart-branch)

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Sat Jan 20 04:24:24 EST 2001

Gareth Hughes wrote:

> Pages is definitely the number of pages (at least when I wrote the
> code...).

Hmmm....vmalloc() definitely works fine, we use it all of the
time in the kernel.  The only way it would hang is if you call
it too soon, or if the number of pages was too large.

> .....and we really should be using
> vmalloc_32(...) instead (which will result in exactly the same code, but
> it is cleaner).

It's no longer the same.  Linux has the "highmem" configuration now,
and vmalloc() allows that to be used, while vmalloc32() does not.

	-- Dan