[Lguest] Lguest is running Ring 0? Ring -1? Ring +1?

octane indice octane at alinto.com
Tue Mar 25 20:33:15 EST 2008

Hello

I'm wondering if lguest is running in another ring than the linux kernel.

CPU have three rings. Usually, kernel-space goes to Ring0. User-space goes
to Ring3.

With some virtualization programs, we can hear about Ring -1 and Ring 1.

i.e.,
hypervisor runs in ring -1, while all OS runs in Ring0, as usual. For that,
we need specials CPU (VT extension for intel). KVM works like that.
Or we have another way, and the first kernel and hypervisor run in Ring 0,
while all other kernels runs in Ring1 (but must be patched for that). Xen 2
is like that.

Which way lguest works? Like that or in totally different way?
Any pointer for doc would be appreciated a lot.

thanks.

(My apologies to markwallis.id.au which this mail was previously sent by error)

Eurolines : Voyagez au meilleur prix : http://www.alinto.com/pub/