[Cbe-oss-dev] Kernel modules

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Mon Feb 16 10:15:17 EST 2009

On 02/15/2009 11:25 AM, Monk wrote:
> Many thanks for these clarifications.

I'm not quite sure what you refer to since you cut all the context.
Please see this:

> As the kernel packages in distributions are rather bloated and load lots
> of stuff the ps3 never uses I’m trying to put up some instructions how
> to build an optimized kernel for the ps3. Please see here:
> http://psubuntu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=758
> <http://psubuntu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=758>
>
> Still I’m only an user and quite some of the kernel modules tell me
> nothing. My goal is to get a kernel that supports all hardware /
> functions that could probably be used on the ps3, e.g. the fuse module
> for ntfs support, without adding unnecessary stuff at the cost of resources.

There is nothing really PS3 specific about tuning your kernel config.  It is more
or less trail and error.  I recommend you start with ps3_defconfig, then disable
what you don't use and know you don't need, then try disabling different things and
see if the system still works.

-Geoff