[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems building the ps3-linux branch

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Thu Mar 15 03:48:10 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to build a kernel with up to date sources to run it on a
PlayStation 3 we have recently got for research purposes.  (I'm
interested in using recent sources because I'll later have to do
changes to them.)  To do this, I've fetched the ps3-linux branch from
the git repository as follows:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-
linux.git

Then I created a configuration file from ps3_defconfig (no
modifications) and built it.

I'm cross-building from a Fedora Core 6 i386 system by using the ppu-
gcc distributed with the Cell SDK 2.0.  So, I've "ARCH=powerpc" and
"CROSS_COMPILE=ppu-" on the top-level Makefile.

I've also manually downloaded, built and installed the "dtc" utility.

Unfortunately, when building the kernel, the process bombs out in the
ps3-hvcall.S file.  The attached log contains more details.

Do you have any idea of what's happening?  Do I need to update any of
my build tools so that this file can be built?

Thank you.